Skip to main content

Grading System*

Baruch uses a 4.0 grade point average (GPA) calculation to determine a student’s academic standing. All grades for 9000- level courses are used in calculating the GPA.

Grades for graduate courses are indicated as follows:


Quality Value Per Credit


4.0 grade points


3.7 grade points


3.3 grade points


3.0 grade points


2.7 grade points


2.3 grade points


2.0 grade points


1.7 grade points


0.0 grade points

The grade of F is computed in the GPA. A failed course must be repeated if it is a required course in the student’s program. Students who repeat a failed course and earn a grade of B- or better may petition to drop the grade of F from the computation of the grade point average; the grade of F will remain on the transcript. Only one F grade may be dropped from the calculation of the grade point average. Request may be submitted to the Registrar's Office.

*Grades of WU, D and D+ are not assigned to graduate courses.


Withdrew without penalty within a specified period (see the Baruch College Academic Calendar).


Administrative withdrawal, given when a student fails to document compliance with New York State Public Health Law 2165 regarding measles, mumps, and rubella within 30 days of the start of the semester (45 days for international students). Non-punitive.


Assigned to students who officially drop a course and incur tuition liability. Non-punitive and does not appear on transcript.


Assigned to students who never attended and did not officially withdraw.  Non-punitive and does not appear on transcript.


No credit granted. Refer to Auditor Status for more information.


Given only when the student has earned an average term grade of 50 percent or better for work already completed, but the term’s work is incomplete and the instructor agrees that the reason for the lateness is valid. Completed assignments must be handed in to the instructor so that the grade can be resolved by the end of the final examination period of the subsequent semester, or it becomes a grade of FIN, the equivalent of F.


No credit. Used for courses taken under the pass/ no credit option. Also used to indicate the student received a course grade below C-. The course must be repeated in order to receive credit. Not included in the GPA.


Passing. Valid grade for courses taken under the pass/no credit option. Grades of P are not calculated in the GPA, but credits earned are counted toward the degree.


Grade pending (used when a grade is under review for possible infraction of academic integrity standards).

Once filed, a grade can be changed only on the recommendation of the instructor. Such recommendation must have the approval of the department chairperson and the appropriate school dean. Once a grade has been submitted, students may not do extra work to improve that grade. Grades cannot be changed once a student's degree has been conferred.

Students may elect to take one course for degree credit to be graded on a pass/no credit basis. The pass/no credit option cannot be used for courses in the student’s major or specialization.

  • To exercise the P/NC option, the student must register for the course in the usual manner and apply at the Office of the Registrar by the last day to withdraw from a course as stated on the Academic Calendar.

  • The grade of P or NC is not computed in the grade point average.

  • If a grade of NC is received in a core or required course, the student must repeat the course. The course may be repeated only once and for a P/NC grade only. 

  • If a grade of NC is received in an elective course, the student may either repeat the course or select another course; in both cases, a conventional grade will be assigned. 

  • The P/NC option is applied by the Registrar’s Office; the instructor is not informed of the student’s decision. 

  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs: MPA, MIA, and  MSEd in Higher Education Administration students may use the P/NC option for one elective course only. The option does not apply to the Capstone Seminar Courses (PAF 9190 and PAF 9390). MSEd in Educational Leadership and SBL students are allowed to use the P/NC option for any one course in their degree program. 

  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences: MS in Industrial and Organizational Psychology students may use the P/NC option for any course in addition to thesis courses. Thesis courses are graded only on a P/NC basis. MA students may elect to use the P/NC option for electives or required courses within the degree program.

  • The P/NC option applies as follows to students in the Zicklin School of Business: MBA students are not permitted to use the P/NC option for core, major, foundational, or functional skills courses, but they may use the option for one elective course. Students following the 57-credit MBA who use the P/NC option and then change their major or pursue a second major cannot apply a course previously graded P/NC toward their new major or petition to withdraw the option. Students cannot apply a P/NC to a graded course in accountancy or taxation used toward CPA requirements. MS students may not use the P/NC option.


The following illustration shows how a student who has attempted 27 credits should compute his/her grade point average on a 4.0 basis.





Indexible Credits

Grade Points































*Includes unresolved INC grades

Divide the total grade points by the total indexible credits to obtain the grade point average: 85.8/27 = 3.17 on 27 indexible credits.

A registered student in good academic standing may attend classes as an auditor.

The student must request this status at the Registrar's Office before registering for the course. The student will receive the grade AUD: no credit is granted, the course cannot be repeated for credit at a later date, nor can it be converted to a letter grade at a later date. Full tuition is applicable. Instructors are advised that auditors are not required to complete any of the assignments in their courses. 

Students may apply to audit a course during Late Registration only. This ensures that students who need the course for their degree programs are given priority.

Students must be doing passing work to obtain an instructor’s permission to receive a grade of incomplete (INC).

A grade of incomplete (INC) received in the fall semester must be resolved by the end of the following spring semester. A grade of INC received in the spring semester or summer term must be resolved by the end of the following fall semester.

 Students who receive this grade may not register for or attend (“sit in”) the course in the following semester.

To resolve incomplete (INC) grades issued for missing course work and/or examination(s), the student should meet with the instructor and arrange to complete the requirements for a letter grade before the expiration of the following semester.

An unresolved INC grade will be converted to FIN and calculated as an F in the computation of the cumulative GPA after the grace period.