Skip to main content

General Academic Regulations

Matriculation And Class Status

Students officially matriculated in Baruch’s graduate programs are allowed to register for courses required for their program of study. Once admitted to a graduate program (this includes the period between acceptance by and registration at Baruch), students cannot take undergraduate courses in order to waive 9000-level preliminary requirements. Concurrent acceptance to and enrollment in a second undergraduate degree program and a graduate-level program are not permitted. Withdrawal from one program is a condition for admission to or continued registration in another program.

Academic Advisement

The Office of Graduate Programs provides administrative and curricular services to students enrolled in programs in the Zicklin School of Business. 

For advisement:
Full-Time MBA:; 646-312-3140
Evening MBA General:; 646-312-3140
Online MBA:; 646-312-3132
Evening MBA Accountancy and MS Accountancy:; 646-312-3132
MS Programs:; 646-312-3140

Advisement for students in the Arts Administration,  Financial Engineering, Corporate Communication, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and Mental Health Counseling graduate programs is provided by members of the faculty. Appointments can be made through the Office of Graduate Studies at 646-312-4490.

The Office of Student Affairs and Graduate Admissions provides administrative and curricular services to graduate students enrolled in programs in the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs. Students entering programs in the Marxe School of Public and International Affairs will receive an evaluation of preliminary course requirements to aid in their first registration at Baruch. During the first semester of attendance, students are encouraged to meet with an advisor from the office to prepare a program for the remaining course of study. The program is a plan of study devised by the student in consultation with the advisor regarding the courses to be completed for the degree. For information regarding student services, contact the Office of Student Affairs and Graduate Admissions, Marxe School of Public and International Affairs, at 646-660-6750.

Program Load

A program of four 9000-level courses (12 credits) is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load. A program load of three 9000-level courses (9 credits) is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load for the following Weissman School of Arts and Sciences programs: MA in Arts Administration; MA in Corporate Communication; MS in Financial Engineering; and MS in Industrial and Organizational Psychology. A program load of nine (9) credits is considered the minimum full-time graduate course load for Zicklin School of Business MBA and MS students. Students in Zicklin's full-time cohort MBA program and executive program will adhere to the cohort structure of these programs. Six credits is the maximum full-time load each summer session. Registration for credits in excess of these limits will not be permitted without advance approval by the school dean. Generally, 6 to 8 credits is the recommended course load for students working 35 hours or more per week.

 Students are expected to enroll in courses that are required to complete their degree. Enrollment in courses outside the required program is subject to availability of space and program/departmental approval.

Hours and Credits

As a recognized higher education provider in the State of New York, Baruch College is bound by the New York Department of Education's rules and regulations regarding assignment of credit hours. Statements in this Bulletin regarding a certain number of class hours or credits refer to the number of weekly class hours (or their equivalent). Thus a listing that reads "3 hours, 3 credits" means that the course will meet for one 150-minute class hour each week for 14 weeks, exclusive of the final examination, or for some other scheduling pattern that equates to 2,100 minutes (1 meeting x 150 minutes x 14 weeks) during the term. Every weekly hour of lecture or recitation meeting for 14 weeks is equal to one semester hour of credit. The same is true for the following: a) two weekly hours of laboratory work, b) two weekly hours of supervised fieldwork, c) three hours of unsupervised honors work, or d) three hours of unsupervised fieldwork. Exceptions to this general rule may apply to certain programs or courses. 

Program Changes

Students who have chosen a major field or a degree objective and wish to change it at a later date may do so, subject to the approval of the appropriate graduate office. Students on F-1 and J-1 visas must also see the International Student Service Center for appropriate approvals to remain in status.

Students who change their degree objective or major field will be subject to the admission requirements of the new curriculum pertaining to the new major field, including core and preliminary requirements. Courses successfully completed under the student’s original program may be transferred to the new program only if they are applicable. Academic deficiencies are carried over from one program to another (e.g., a student on probation under the original program remains on probation under the new program).

If a student’s new major carries a different degree objective, the student must file an application for a change in degree objective in the appropriate graduate office and, if necessary, take the appropriate admission test. Once accepted for the new degree, the student should make an appointment with an advisor in the appropriate graduate office and request a new program.

A required (approved) program may not be changed without written permission from the appropriate graduate office and school dean.

To change required (approved) courses, students complete an Application for Program Revision Form and file it with their graduate office. A copy of the revised program will be sent to the student after it has been approved.

Program changes should be made prior to registering for courses.

Qualifying Examinations/Waivers

Students who feel that they have sufficient background in any of the preliminary requirements but have not had the courses waived may apply to take a written qualifying examination. The application may be obtained at the appropriate graduate studies office. Students pay the listed fee, return the completed form to the appropriate graduate office, and contact the department for the time and place of the examination.

A grade of C- or better is required to waive 8000-level preliminary requirement courses. A grade of B- or better is required to waive 9000-level preliminary requirement courses.

A qualifying examination may not be repeated. Students are not eligible to take a qualifying examination in a graduate course they have taken at Baruch and failed.

Transfer of Credit for Graduate Work and Permit Status

Students may request to transfer up to 12 credits of course work. The Weissman Masters in Mental Health Counseling Program does not accept transfer credits. Zicklin MBA students following the 57-credit MBA should review prior bulletins for the transfer credit policy. Zicklin Evening MBA students following the 48-credit MBA may not transfer more than 9 credits of course work towards functional skills/flexible courses and elective courses (none towards foundational/required). MBA in accountancy students may transfer up to 14 credits, with no more than two courses (6–8 credits) applied toward the major (none towards foundational/required). Zicklin Full-Time MBA students may transfer up to 9 credits of electives only (none towards foundational/required or functional/flexible).    Zicklin MS students may not transfer more than two courses (no more than 8 credits) toward their degree requirements. MPA students may not transfer courses toward their core requirements. Courses must have been completed within five years of a student’s enrollment at Baruch College. All students should consult their appropriate graduate office for advisement.

  • For Zicklin MBA and MS students, only graduate-level courses completed in institutions accredited by AACSB International—The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business will be considered for transfer credit toward the MBA and MS degrees in the Zicklin School of Business.

  • Only graduate-level courses completed in NASPAA accredited institutions will be considered for transfer credit toward an MPA degree. 

  • A grade of B or better is required in courses for which transfer credit is sought. (However, grades earned at other institutions are not included in computing the scholastic average at Baruch College.) 

  • Graduate courses completed as part of one graduate degree may not be used for credit toward another graduate degree. 

  • In general, course credit is transferable only if a course is equivalent to one given at Baruch College.

  • Once a student is admitted to Baruch College, permission to take a course at another institution must be obtained prior to registration at that institution. Students should allow sufficient time to have their request reviewed.

  • Baruch College students who wish to take course(s) at another City University of New York institution must apply using the e-Permit system in CUNYfirst. They will be informed of the progress of their permit request throughout the approval process via email. If a request is rejected, they will be notified of the reason for the rejection. Tuition for approved CUNY permit courses is paid to the home college. Grades for courses taken on permit at another CUNY college are posted on the home transcript and are counted in the computation of their GPA.

  • Baruch College students who wish to take a course at a non-CUNY institution must submit an Outgoing Non-CUNY Permit application through the Office of the Registrar.

  • In general, students in the Zicklin School of Business may not receive transfer credit for graduate courses completed in other CUNY units. 

  • Students matriculated at Baruch College are not permitted to take courses at other institutions if the courses are being offered at Baruch in the same semester. 

  • Permission to take courses at other institutions does not extend the period within which requirements for a degree must be met. 

  • Only students in good academic standing (3.0 GPA and no unresolved INC grades) will be allowed to take courses at other institutions. 

  • Applications for transfer of credit can be obtained at the appropriate graduate offices. The application must be approved by a graduate advisor and the school dean.

Second-Degree Application

Students who wish to take additional courses after meeting their original degree requirements must file a new application for admission to graduate school. Students who have completed an MBA degree and who wish to take additional courses should consider one of the MS programs, an MPA, MSEd, MIA or the Post-Master’s Certificate Program. Students applying for a second degree must meet current admission requirements.

Cross-Listed Courses

Cross-listed courses cannot be taken for credit more than once without prior approval. The existence of a cross-listed course is indicated by a parenthetical course number that follows the departmental course number and precedes the course title.

Veteran's Benefits Information

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.  This school will not:

·         Prevent nor delay the student’s enrollment;

·         Assess a late penalty fee to the student;

·         Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;

·         Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

·         Produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;

·         Provide written request to be certified;

·         Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.